Connect with us

News

British Grand Prix: Lewis Hamilton backs protests but Mercedes question methods

British Grand Prix: Lewis Hamilton backs protests but Mercedes question methods

Published

on

Leading drivers said they backed the cause of protesters who demonstrated on environmental issues after a track invasion at the British Grand Prix.

But they questioned the methods chosen after a group opposing global oil usage sat down on Silverstone’s Wellington straight after the start of the race.

Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton said: “Big up the protesters.

“I love that people are fighting for the planet and we need more people like them.”

Advertisement

His Mercedes team added: “Lewis was endorsing their right to protest but not the method that they chose, which compromised their safety and that of others.”

Later Hamilton wrote on Instagram: “Please don’t jump on to our race circuits to protest, we don’t want to put you in harm’s way.”

 

A group of people, wearing T-shirts protesting against global oil usage, walked on to the Wellington straight as cars passed at low speeds, before being removed by police.

Advertisement

The race had been red flagged following a large crash on the opening lap.

Racing, which had started at 15:00 BST, resumed under an hour later with Ferrari driver Carlos Sainz taking his maiden F1 victory in the race.

READ ALSO:   How TB Joshua Was Instrumental To Our Winning FIFA U-20 World Cup In Egypt - Gladson Awako

Sainz said he also supported the protesters’ cause but not the way they had chosen to voice it.

“People have the opportunity to speak out and do manifestations wherever they want because it’s a right,” the Spaniard said. “I just don’t believe jumping into an F1 track is the best way to do it, and putting yourself and all the drivers at risk.

Advertisement

“Yes, I support the cause and F1 is doing a great job already to try and go carbon zero by 2030, and we are pushing on this area and we are pushing F1 and the FIA to find ways to go in this direction.

“I just don’t believe jumping into an F1 track is the right way to manifest yourself and protest. Be a bit more careful, because you could get killed and generate an accident.”

Red Bull’s Sergio Perez, who finished second, backed Sainz’s view.

“It’s great to see people fight for the cause but obviously it’s good (if) they don’t put themselves or other people are risk,” the Mexican said.

Advertisement
READ ALSO:   COVID-19: Don’t wear Chinese face masks, use Aba made – Ohanaeze warns Ndigbo

“I’m sure F1 can still do more and we have to keep pushing all together to show a good example.”

F1 has pledged to go net-zero carbon by 2030 and is introducing sustainable synthetic fuels with a new engine formula in 2026.

F1 president Stefano Domenicali did not comment on the protesters’ cause, but said it was “stupid and dangerous to put their lives and the lives of others at risk”.

The group were removed by police while the race was suspended.

Advertisement

“We can confirm that after the red flag, several people attempted to enter the track,” Formula 1 said in a statement.

“These people were immediately removed and the matter is now being dealt with by the local authorities.”

Northamptonshire Police later said seven people had been arrested.

On Friday, police had said they had “received credible intelligence” that a group of protestors were planning to disrupt the event and “possibly invade the track on race day” and had appealed to the group not to carry out the protest.

Advertisement

On Sunday, chief inspector Tom Thompson said: “I’m really disappointed that this group of people ignored our warnings prior to race day and made the incredibly dangerous decision to enter the track.

READ ALSO:   Man Emptied Bag Of His Own Faeces On Neighbour

“We offered to facilitate a peaceful event at the circuit but they instead chose to put the lives of the drivers, marshals and volunteers at risk. It is incredibly disappointing that anyone would make the decision to do this.

“Thankfully, we had plans in place for an eventuality such as this and the group were swiftly removed and arrested by our officers.

“All seven are currently in custody where their details are being ascertained.”

Advertisement

The group Just Stop Oil said they staged the protest. They want “an immediate halt to new oil and gas projects in the UK” and said they would “continue to disrupt sports, cultural events and oil until this demand is met”.

Culled from BBC.

Sports1 hour ago

BREAKING: Ballon d’Or 2022: 20-man nominees confirmed [See Full List]

Top Stories1 hour ago

Breaking: Salman Rushdie, Author Of “The Satanic Verses” Stabbed In The Neck(Video)

Top Stories2 hours ago

Your men behind purported legal suit, not me – Wike tells Atiku

News5 hours ago

Rita Akpaka’s Mysterious Death: Family Names Individuals, Institutions Obstructing Justice

News6 hours ago

You Blame Buhari For Everything, Including Not Being Active In Bed, Poor Rainfall – Adesina Blasts Nigerians

News6 hours ago

Presidential Primary: I Didn’t Drag Atiku, PDP, Tambuwal To court – Wike

News6 hours ago

ANAMBRA GOVERNOR, Soludo Suspends Local Government Chairman In Anambra Over Alleged Killing Of Wife

Business and Brands12 hours ago

Emirates invests over US$ 2 billion to enhance on-board customer experience

News13 hours ago

Nigerian Newspaper Headlines & Naija News Today, Friday 12 August 2022

News13 hours ago

Black Market Dollar To Naira Exchange Rate Today 12 August 2022

Top Stories13 hours ago

Bishop Kukah finally ‘destroys’ Bola Tinubu/Shettima’s ticket as ‘unacceptable,reprehensible’…

News13 hours ago

Ekweremadu’s Trial: Why Buhari Govt Won’t Interfere – Malami

Top Stories13 hours ago

Dele Momodu To Wike: Apply The Brakes Before It’s Too Late!

Top Stories13 hours ago

PDP Crisis:Wike drags Atiku,Tambuwa to court, tables fresh demand before INEC

Press Releases14 hours ago

Suspended Dana Air engaged unlicensed pilot, planes unfit – Report

Also Read...