Naija News: Nigerian Newspaper Headlines & Naija News Today, Saturday 18 February 2023
Nigerian Newspaper Headlines & Naija News Today, Saturday 18 February 2023 can be accessed below.
CityNews Nigeria has compiled Naija News headlines from Nigerian newspapers, this means the latest Naija news, top newspaper headlines, and happenings in Nigeria today can be accessed on this page.
Below are the Newspaper Headlines & Naija News today from Nigerian Newspapers. Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers:
1. The Presidency on Friday, said there are no plans by President Muhammadu Buhari to extend his tenure beyond May 29, 2023, or install an interim government. A statement signed by Buhari’s spokesperson, Garba Shehu, noted this on Friday.
2. A former Minister of Finance, Dr Idika Kalu, has faulted the logistics of the Central Bank of Nigeria for the crisis that has characterized the distribution of new N1000, N500 and N200 notes. Speaking during a TV program on Friday, he noted that the new naira scarcity was a result of a huge logistic mistake.
3. The Ebonyi State Governor, David Umahi, has accepted the Federal High Court judgment disbanding the Ebubeagu security outfit a few days before the 2023 general election in the country. Umahi equally expressed worries over the alleged threats issued by a separatist group led by Simon Ekpa, to disrupt election processes in the southeast geopolitical zone.
4. Anambra State Police Command, yesterday confirmed an attack on the staff of the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC and other adhoc staff. Tochukwu Ikenga, the spokesperson for Anambra State Police Command in a press statement said the INEC staff were undergoing training when the gunmen struck.
5. The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has denied asking banks to collect old N500 and N1,000 notes from customers. In a statement on Thursday, Osita Nwanisobi, Director of Corporate Communications at the CBN said banks were only directed to reissue and recycle old N200 notes.
6. The presidency yesterday warned the governor of Kaduna State, Nasir El-Rufai and Abdullahi Ganduje of Kano State, among others, to desist from alleging that President Muhammadu Buhari was working against the All Progressives Congress, APC presidential candidate, Bola Tinubu, insisting that Asiwaju remains Buhari’s candidate.
7. The Department of State Services (DSS) has uncovered a plan by Boko Haram terrorists to attack the Abuja-Kaduna train service in the coming days. The Ministry of Transportation, in a letter to the Ministry of Defence, said it had, on February 1, received a letter from the DSS on the threat by Boko Haram terrorists to attack the Abuja-Kaduna train services.
8. There is tension in some parts of Lagos over the scarcity of naira as a result of the redesign policy of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN). The state has been relatively calm in the wake of protests over the naira redesign policy across the nation. But on Friday, a riot broke out in the Mile 12 area of the state. Mile 12 is a popular international foodstuff market along Ikorodu Road.
9. Properties worth millions of naira were on Friday destroyed when fire gutted the Owode Onirin iron market along Ikorodu Road, Lagos. According to a source, the incident occurred in the evening when the fire started in one of the shops in the market.
10. The Zamfara State Police Command has arrested a 20-year-old boy for allegedly conniving with five others to abduct his mother and three others and collecting a ransom of N30 million. The state police spokesperson, SP Mohammed Shehu while addressing journalists on Friday, said the suspect, Thomas Yau, informed the police that N10m was paid by each of the kidnap victims, including his mother, totalling N30m ransom.
Simon Ekpa Declares IPOB Sit-at-Home For Igbos In Lagos
Osun: Governor Adeleke Vows Not To Stop Dancing,Gives Reason
Singer Naira Marley denies ties with ISIS
Police Commission Appoints Egbetokun DIG, Promotes 24 CPs, 33 DCPs, Others [Full List]
Gov Adeleke Issues New Executive Order To Protect Aregbesola
BREAKING: Boko Haram chief bomber killed by own IED [PHOTO]
Sanwo-olu Reverts Transportation Fares On All Regulated Buses To 100%
Breaking: Nigeria’s President-Elect,Tinubu Makes Fresh Appointment
Breaking! Tinubu’s Aide Dragged To ICC Over 2023 Election
BREAKING: NLC Suspends Planned Nationwide Strike Over Naira Scarcity
GMW: Polaris Bank, CBN deepen financial literacy among young Nigerians
Gospel singers, Mercy Chinwo and Minister GUC severe ties, days after shady post
I’m Proud To Be A Nigerian Because Of Davido – Jemima Osunde
EPL: Arsenal To Make Saka Club’s Highest-Paid Player
Umar Damagum: Key Things To Know About PDP Acting National Chairman
Top Stories15 hours ago
Breaking! Lagos Pastor ‘Plays Christian Sermon Whilst As He Rapes Lady’
Top Stories13 hours ago
Tinubu: Bode George reveals when he will leave Nigeria
Entertainment17 hours ago
Nollywood stars send prayers to Ibrahim Chatta as he cries out for help
Top Stories16 hours ago
Nigerians WIll Enjoy Tinubu’s Solid Political Pedigree From May 29th – Buhari
Top Stories18 hours ago
Breaking! Tinubu cancels 71st birthday celebration,releases statement
Top Stories18 hours ago
Trump rape case: After years of back and forth over Trump’s DNA, jurors won’t even hear about it
Top Stories18 hours ago
Naira Scarcity: Banks Raise Cash Withdrawal Limits To Reduce Queues
News18 hours ago
CBN Governor,Emefiele Begs NLC To Shelve Protest Over Naira Scarcity