CityNews Nigeria reports that the investigation into Tiger Woods’ single-car crash that took place near Los Angeles on Feb. 23 has been completed. Details of why the accident happened, however, can’t be released yet.
The cause of the accident can only be made public by the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department with Woods’ permission. The department has reached out to Woods to address the privacy concerns.
“We have reached out to Tiger Woods and his personnel,” Sheriff Alex Villanueva said during a live social media event Wednesday, via The Associated Press. “There’s some privacy issues on releasing information on the investigation so we’re going to ask them if they waive the privacy and then we will be able to do a full release on all the information regarding the accident.”
As part of its investigation, the sheriff’s department obtained a warrant to retrieve the black box from the SUV Woods was driving during the crash. Woods was first found unconscious at the scene of the accident and he told police that he didn’t remember driving.
Villanueva has previously said there was no evidence that Woods was impaired and the department didn’t seek a warrant for Woods’ blood samples.
“The release of accident reports is governed under California Vehicle Code Section 20012,” the sheriff’s department said from its official Twitter account. “When we are able, we intend to release the information learned during the traffic collision investigation involving @TigerWoods.”
It’s unknown if or when Woods will allow further details of the crash to be revealed. The golfer has been relatively quiet publicly since getting into the accident that resulted in him needing emergency surgery on his right leg.
The 45-year-old spent multiple weeks at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles. Woods was transferred from Harbor-UCLA Medical Center, where he underwent the initial procedure.
On March 16, Woods announced on social media that he was out of the hospital and was continuing his recovery at home.