The abducted students of Government Science Secondary School, Kankara, Katsina, have released.

Citynews Nigeria  reports that the the state governor, Aminu Masari, broke the news during a televised interview on Thursday.

Masari said a total of 344 boys had been released to security operatives and that they were now on their way back to Katsina.

“At the moment, 344 of the students have been handed over to security agents. I think we have recovered most of the boys if not all of them,” he said.

A top government official in the state said the boys would undergo medical examinations in the morning, meet with the president, Muhammadu Buhari, and be reunited with their families.

It is not clear if ransom was paid to get the students released as government officials have routinely and vehemently countered widespread assertion that it was paying ransom to terrorists and kidnappers.

READ ALSO:   Zulum Blasts Military Over Abduction On Damaturu-Maiduguri Road

The abduction of the over over 300 students have sparked outrage within and outside Nigeria. The parents of the students have been flung into apprehension and uncertainty as the whereabouts of the student is unknown since Friday night when gunmen attacked the school.

Boko Haram had claimed responsibility for the attack and abduction, but Masari debunked the terrorists claim, saying the attack was carried out by bandits. .