#EndSARS Protests:Nigerian Government Reveals Number Of Security Operatives And Civilians Killed Protests

The federal government of Nigeria has submitted that six soldiers, 37 policemen, and 57 civilians lost their lives during the #EndSARS protests which rocked the country last month.

 

This was disclosed on Thursday by the Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed during a press conference in Abuja, the nation’s capital where he spoke on the protests and the aftermath.

 

He added that 196 policemen were injured; 164 police vehicles destroyed and 134 police stations were burnt down.

Facilities and structures belonging to the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, the Nigeria Customs Service, and Nigeria Immigration Service were also destroyed the Minister noted.

 

Speaking further, Mohammed said eight medium-security custodial centres in six states of Edo, Lagos, Abia, Delta, Ondo, and Ebonyi belonging to the Nigeria Correctional Service were attacked, with 1,957 inmates set free and 31 members of staff injured.

 

Also, the Minister added that 269 private/corporate facilities were burnt, looted or vandalised, 243 government facilities burnt and vandalised and 81 government warehouses looted in the aftermath of the protest.

After listing the figures, Mohammed accused some human rights organizations and media outfits of misrepresenting what happened during and after the protests, particularly the Lekki tollgate shooting incidence.

 

“They became suspicious after they simply ignored the brutal killing and maiming of security agents during the crisis.

 

“They did not see anything wrong in the public and private properties that were burnt or looted, neither did they see anything wrong in the fact that some of the businesses that were looted belonged to struggling young men and women.

“All they could see in their biased view of the whole situation was a hoax massacre,’’ the Minister said.

 

Mohammed added that security operatives should be commended for the professionalism and restraint exhibited during the protests noting that the federal government is pleased with their action.

 

In his words, “Even when their lives were at stake, they exercised uncommon restraint.

READ ALSO:Wema Bank Profit After Tax Declined by 35.45 Percent in the First Nine Months

“Their professionalism and measured response saved many lives and properties.

 

“For example, despite arresting hordes of looters during the violence in Lagos, the army treated them humanely and even counseled them before handing them over to the police.

 

“The same cannot be said of those who unleashed mayhem on the security agents, killing and maiming them, sometimes in such a barbaric manner that is unprecedented in these parts.’’

 

The federal government of Nigeria has submitted that six soldiers, 37 policemen, and 57 civilians lost their lives during the #EndSARS protests which rocked the country last month.

 

This was disclosed on Thursday by the Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed during a press conference in Abuja, the nation’s capital where he spoke on the protests and the aftermath.

 

He added that 196 policemen were injured; 164 police vehicles destroyed and 134 police stations were burnt down.

 

 

 

Facilities and structures belonging to the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, the Nigeria Customs Service, and Nigeria Immigration Service were also destroyed the Minister noted.

 

Speaking further, Mohammed said eight medium-security custodial centres in six states of Edo, Lagos, Abia, Delta, Ondo, and Ebonyi belonging to the Nigeria Correctional Service were attacked, with 1,957 inmates set free and 31 members of staff injured.

 

Also, the Minister added that 269 private/corporate facilities were burnt, looted or vandalised, 243 government facilities burnt and vandalised and 81 government warehouses looted in the aftermath of the protest.

 

 

 

After listing the figures, Mohammed accused some human rights organizations and media outfits of misrepresenting what happened during and after the protests, particularly the Lekki tollgate shooting incidence.

 

“They became suspicious after they simply ignored the brutal killing and maiming of security agents during the crisis.

 

“They did not see anything wrong in the public and private properties that were burnt or looted, neither did they see anything wrong in the fact that some of the businesses that were looted belonged to struggling young men and women.

 

 

 

“All they could see in their biased view of the whole situation was a hoax massacre,’’ the Minister said.

 

Mohammed added that security operatives should be commended for the professionalism and restraint exhibited during the protests noting that the federal government is pleased with their action.

 

In his words, “Even when their lives were at stake, they exercised uncommon restraint.

 

“Their professionalism and measured response saved many lives and properties.

READ ALSO: #EndSARS: Lekki Incident Was A Massacre Without Bodies – Lai Mohammed

“For example, despite arresting hordes of looters during the violence in Lagos, the army treated them humanely and even counseled them before handing them over to the police.

 

“The same cannot be said of those who unleashed mayhem on the security agents, killing and maiming them, sometimes in such a barbaric manner that is unprecedented in these parts.’’

 

 

 

Source: Naija News

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here