Connect with us


Top Stories

Ibadan explosion: Two die, 77 injured, says Makinde

Published

on

Governor Seyi Makinde of Oyo state confirmed that preliminary investigation has revealed two fatalities while 77 persons suffered varying degrees of injuries.
Makinde made the disclosure shortly after visitng the scene of the explosion which rocked Bodija part of the capital city.

But, unconfirmed sources said the casualty figures could be higher as resources effort continues.

Advertisement

Property worth millions have also been confirmed destroyed

Makknde said: “We visited the scene of the explosion which occurred at about 7.44 pm yesterday, 16 January 2024 in Bodija, Ibadan. This unfortunate incident resulted in death and injury to residents in the vicinity and also affected properties.

Advertisement
READ ALSO:   Breaking: 2023: APC Releases Snapshot Of Tinubu's American Visa(Photo)

“We have already deployed first responders and all relevant agencies within Oyo State to carry out comprehensive search and rescue operations. These operations will continue throughout the night.

“Earth moving equipment, ambulances, emergency lights, and security were deployed to the scene of the incident. The wounded and injured are being treated and moved to public and private hospitals within Ibadan.

Advertisement

“Medical personnel are on standby at these hospitals to provide all needed assistance to the injured. We have visited UCH to see some of those injured during the incident.

 

Advertisement

“In total, we have 77 injured victims so far, most of whom were treated and discharged and 2 fatalities. May their souls rest in peace and may God give their loved ones the fortitude to bear this irreparable loss.

READ ALSO:   Reps Consider Bill To Clamp Down Journalists Without Media Certificate 

“I have directed that the medical bills of all victims be covered by the government. We will also be providing temporary accommodation for those whose houses were affected and ensuring that they are supported to rebuild their lives.

Advertisement

“Preliminary investigations by the security agencies revealed that illegal miners occupying one of the houses in Bodija had stored explosive devices there which caused the blast. The investigations are ongoing. All those found culpable for this will be brought to book.

“I urge all residents to please call 615 for any emergencies they may be experiencing at this time and to remain calm and stay away from the immediate scene of the incident to allow rescue operations to be carried out without interference.

Advertisement
READ ALSO:   Naija News: Top Nigerian Newspaper For Today,Sunday 6th November 2022

“We are grateful to the first responders, security personnel and all those who are at the scene to assist with the rescue operations as well as the medical personnel taking care of the injured.

“Please say a prayer for those who have been affected by this disaster as we continue with the rescue operations.”

Advertisement

 

Advertisement
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *







Also Read...