Close Menu
City News NG
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

What's Hot

Sadiya Umar Farouq In Egypt, Medically Unfit To Appear In Court – Counsel

May 19, 2026

DAPPMAN Kicks As Dangote Refinery Sues FG Over Fuel Import Licences

May 19, 2026

El-Rufai’s Wife, Asiya, Protests His Continued Detention (Video)

May 19, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Trending
  • Sadiya Umar Farouq In Egypt, Medically Unfit To Appear In Court – Counsel
  • DAPPMAN Kicks As Dangote Refinery Sues FG Over Fuel Import Licences
  • El-Rufai’s Wife, Asiya, Protests His Continued Detention (Video)
  • BREAKING: Barrister Kunle Adegoke(KRAD) Emerges APC Candidate for Osun Central Senatorial District
  • NRS makes tax ID mandatory for taxpayers
  • If You Don’t Keep Quiet, I Will Start Saying Things – Gov Yusuf Sends Warning To Kwankwaso
  • 2027: Atiku Abubakar Can’t Win Election, I Won’t …. – Amaechi
  • Peter Obi Emerges Sole NDC Presidential Aspirant for 2027 Election
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
City News NGCity News NG
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
City News NG
Home » Sadiya Umar Farouq In Egypt, Medically Unfit To Appear In Court – Counsel
News

Sadiya Umar Farouq In Egypt, Medically Unfit To Appear In Court – Counsel

CitynewsBy CitynewsMay 19, 2026No Comments
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn WhatsApp Reddit Tumblr Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Oladipo Okpesheyi, the counsel to Sadiya Umar Farouq, the former minister of humanitarian affairs and social development, says his client is currently in Egypt and medically unfit to appear before the court.

Faruoq and Bashir Nura Alkali, a permanent secretary in the ministry, alongside one Sani Mohammed, are facing a 21-count charge bordering on breach of trust and abuse of office, as filed by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

The commission had alleged that the former minister and the co-defendants misappropriated about $1.3 million and N746.6 million.

The EFCC filed the charges before the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) high court in Apo.

In April, the court issued an arrest warrant for Farouq and Alkali, while the EFCC recently declared the former minister wanted for alleged abuse of office and diversion of public funds.

MONDAY’S PROCEEDINGS

At the resumed hearing on Monday, Rotimi Jacobs, senior advocate of Nigeria (SAN) and EFCC’s counsel, told the court that the matter was for arraignment.

Jacobs said he observed that the first defendant, Farouq, was absent in court without any reason.

“My lord, we were here on April 16, 2026, when your lordship granted us a bench warrant to arrest the first defendant,” Jacobs was quoted in a statement by the EFCC.

“It was because of that; the second defendant immediately approached the Commission and surrendered himself in obedience to your lordship’s order.

“We urge your lordship to remove the bench warrant from the second defendant as we will be applying that the bench warrant for the first defendant be sustained.”

The prosecution counsel told the court that Okpesheyi had previously pleaded and said he would produce the first defendant in one month.

Jude Onwuegbuzie, the presiding judge, asked the counsel to the former minister to state why his client was not in court.

Okpesheyi said he was informed last night that the former minister was battling health issues in Egypt and would not be fit to appear in court until two months from now.

“My lord, she is in Egypt. I learnt that her doctor said she is not medically fit to appear today. There is a medical report I received on my phone last night that she is in the hospital on doctor’s advice in Egypt,” the counsel said.

“She will need about two months to recover before she can come. We will be humbly asking for an adjournment.”

The judge criticised the delay tactics and threatened to take further action if she fails to submit herself at the next proceedings.

Onwuegbuzie held that the arrest warrant against the first defendant remained active and adjourned the matter till June 8, 2026, for arraignment.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram Email
Citynews
  • Website

Related Posts

DAPPMAN Kicks As Dangote Refinery Sues FG Over Fuel Import Licences

May 19, 2026

El-Rufai’s Wife, Asiya, Protests His Continued Detention (Video)

May 19, 2026

BREAKING: Barrister Kunle Adegoke(KRAD) Emerges APC Candidate for Osun Central Senatorial District

May 19, 2026
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Demo
Top Posts

Stop Press! Jesam Michael, AAS Investors Are Aggrieved

May 10, 2024

Leadway Advocates For Public Safety As Nigerians Embrace The New Year

January 7, 2025

Ogun Is Setting The Pace In Tackling Energy Challenges, Says Abiodun

February 15, 2024

Sadiya Umar Farouq In Egypt, Medically Unfit To Appear In Court – Counsel

May 19, 2026
Don't Miss
News

Sadiya Umar Farouq In Egypt, Medically Unfit To Appear In Court – Counsel

By CitynewsMay 19, 2026

Oladipo Okpesheyi, the counsel to Sadiya Umar Farouq, the former minister of humanitarian affairs and…

DAPPMAN Kicks As Dangote Refinery Sues FG Over Fuel Import Licences

May 19, 2026

El-Rufai’s Wife, Asiya, Protests His Continued Detention (Video)

May 19, 2026

BREAKING: Barrister Kunle Adegoke(KRAD) Emerges APC Candidate for Osun Central Senatorial District

May 19, 2026
Stay In Touch
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • Vimeo

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

Demo
About Us

City News NG is a fast-growing Nigerian online news platform delivering breaking stories, politics, business, entertainment, sports, and lifestyle updates to readers across Nigeria and the diaspora. It positions itself as a reliable digital newspaper with timely coverage of national and global events.

Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest YouTube WhatsApp
Our Picks

Sadiya Umar Farouq In Egypt, Medically Unfit To Appear In Court – Counsel

May 19, 2026

DAPPMAN Kicks As Dangote Refinery Sues FG Over Fuel Import Licences

May 19, 2026

El-Rufai’s Wife, Asiya, Protests His Continued Detention (Video)

May 19, 2026
Most Popular

Stop Press! Jesam Michael, AAS Investors Are Aggrieved

May 10, 2024

Leadway Advocates For Public Safety As Nigerians Embrace The New Year

January 7, 2025

Ogun Is Setting The Pace In Tackling Energy Challenges, Says Abiodun

February 15, 2024
© 2026. Designed by .
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.