Close Menu
City News NG
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

What's Hot

Governor Adeleke Withdraws Suit Against EFCC Following Tinubu’s Intervention

August 17, 2026

Muslim-Muslim Ticket: Better To Eat Grass Under Muslim Leader Than Chicken Under An Infidel – Islamic Cleric Says

August 17, 2026

Osun: ‘We Will Come Back Stronger’ – Kalu Speaks On Tinubu’s Fate Ahead Of 2027 Election

August 17, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Trending
  • Governor Adeleke Withdraws Suit Against EFCC Following Tinubu’s Intervention
  • Muslim-Muslim Ticket: Better To Eat Grass Under Muslim Leader Than Chicken Under An Infidel – Islamic Cleric Says
  • Osun: ‘We Will Come Back Stronger’ – Kalu Speaks On Tinubu’s Fate Ahead Of 2027 Election
  • Don’t Think You Will Get Away With It – Obasanjo Warns Failed Nigerian Leaders
  • Osun: APC’s defeat not Adeleke’s trade-off for supporting Tinubu – Hakeem Baba-Ahmed
  • ‘There Is No Agreement’ – Adeleke’s Camp Denies Political Deal With Tinubu
  • Breaking: INEC declares Adeleke winner of 2026 Osun Governorship Election
  • Polaris Bank Hosts Children for a Day of Fun, Learning and Workplace Discovery
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
City News NGCity News NG
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
City News NG
Home » Court Shifts Judgment On 57 Properties Linked To Malami To July 15
News

Court Shifts Judgment On 57 Properties Linked To Malami To July 15

CitynewsBy CitynewsJuly 10, 2026No Comments
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn WhatsApp Reddit Tumblr Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

The Federal High Court in Abuja has postponed judgment in the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission’s (EFCC) forfeiture suit involving 57 properties allegedly linked to a former Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami.

CityNews reports that the judgment, which was scheduled to be delivered on Friday, could not proceed because the presiding judge, Justice Joyce Abdulmalik, did not sit.

The court subsequently fixed July 15 for the ruling.

Justice Abdulmalik had earlier scheduled July 6 for judgment after lawyers representing the EFCC, Malami and the other respondents concluded their arguments.

The anti-graft agency is asking the court to order the final forfeiture of the 57 properties to the Federal Government.

The commission alleged that the assets were reasonably suspected to have been acquired with proceeds of unlawful activities.

At the previous sitting, EFCC counsel, Jibrin Okutepa (SAN), urged the court to grant the forfeiture application.

Okutepa said the motion, filed in February, was supported by a 47-paragraph affidavit and 46 exhibits.

He told the court that the commission’s application was contained in three volumes and provided sufficient grounds for the properties to be permanently forfeited.

Relying on the documents before the court, the senior lawyer argued that Malami and the other respondents had “woefully failed to show cause” that the properties “were acquired legitimately”.

He consequently asked the court to transfer ownership of the disputed assets permanently to the Federal Government.

Counsel to Malami and the other respondents, Adedayo Adedeji (SAN), opposed the EFCC’s application and urged the court to dismiss it.

Adedeji said the respondents filed their application on February 27 and supported it with a 109-paragraph affidavit personally deposed to by Malami.

He explained that the affidavit was intended to show why the court should not grant the commission’s request for final forfeiture.

The lawyer urged the court to set aside the interim forfeiture order earlier made and hold that the respondents had established that the properties were not purchased with proceeds of criminal activities.

He accused the EFCC of basing its case largely on suspicion rather than concrete evidence linking the assets to any crime.

“The court deals with evidence, not suspicion,” Adedeji said.

He asked the court to reject the submissions made by the EFCC’s counsel.

Respondents Fault EFCC Evidence

Adedeji further argued that the anti-graft agency relied on what he described as “extrajudicial evidence” that would ordinarily be tested through cross-examination in a criminal trial.

According to him, the court could not fairly determine the dispute without hearing oral evidence from the parties.

He recalled that the court had earlier declined a request for oral testimony and maintained that this affected the proper evaluation of the EFCC’s allegations.

The senior lawyer also told the court that some of the disputed properties were acquired before Malami became Attorney-General of the Federation.

He insisted that the assets “were not proceeds of crime”.

Adedeji also adopted separate counter-affidavits and further affidavits filed on behalf of some of the companies and individuals listed as respondents in the suit.

He urged the court to dismiss the forfeiture application and discharge the earlier interim order placed on the properties.

The parties will now return to court on July 15 for judgment.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram Email
Citynews
  • Website

Related Posts

Governor Adeleke Withdraws Suit Against EFCC Following Tinubu’s Intervention

August 17, 2026

Muslim-Muslim Ticket: Better To Eat Grass Under Muslim Leader Than Chicken Under An Infidel – Islamic Cleric Says

August 17, 2026

Osun: ‘We Will Come Back Stronger’ – Kalu Speaks On Tinubu’s Fate Ahead Of 2027 Election

August 17, 2026
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Demo
Top Posts

Stop Press! Jesam Michael, AAS Investors Are Aggrieved

May 10, 2024

Leadway Advocates For Public Safety As Nigerians Embrace The New Year

January 7, 2025

Ogun Is Setting The Pace In Tackling Energy Challenges, Says Abiodun

February 15, 2024

Governor Adeleke Withdraws Suit Against EFCC Following Tinubu’s Intervention

August 17, 2026
Don't Miss
News

Governor Adeleke Withdraws Suit Against EFCC Following Tinubu’s Intervention

By CitynewsAugust 17, 2026

Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, has ordered the withdrawal of the legal action instituted against…

Muslim-Muslim Ticket: Better To Eat Grass Under Muslim Leader Than Chicken Under An Infidel – Islamic Cleric Says

August 17, 2026

Osun: ‘We Will Come Back Stronger’ – Kalu Speaks On Tinubu’s Fate Ahead Of 2027 Election

August 17, 2026

Don’t Think You Will Get Away With It – Obasanjo Warns Failed Nigerian Leaders

August 17, 2026
Stay In Touch
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • Vimeo

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

Demo
About Us

City News NG is a fast-growing Nigerian online news platform delivering breaking stories, politics, business, entertainment, sports, and lifestyle updates to readers across Nigeria and the diaspora. It positions itself as a reliable digital newspaper with timely coverage of national and global events.

Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest YouTube WhatsApp
Our Picks

Governor Adeleke Withdraws Suit Against EFCC Following Tinubu’s Intervention

August 17, 2026

Muslim-Muslim Ticket: Better To Eat Grass Under Muslim Leader Than Chicken Under An Infidel – Islamic Cleric Says

August 17, 2026

Osun: ‘We Will Come Back Stronger’ – Kalu Speaks On Tinubu’s Fate Ahead Of 2027 Election

August 17, 2026
Most Popular

Stop Press! Jesam Michael, AAS Investors Are Aggrieved

May 10, 2024

Leadway Advocates For Public Safety As Nigerians Embrace The New Year

January 7, 2025

Ogun Is Setting The Pace In Tackling Energy Challenges, Says Abiodun

February 15, 2024
© 2026. Designed by .
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.