Close Menu
City News NG
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

What's Hot

Governor Adeleke Withdraws Suit Against EFCC Following Tinubu’s Intervention

August 17, 2026

Muslim-Muslim Ticket: Better To Eat Grass Under Muslim Leader Than Chicken Under An Infidel – Islamic Cleric Says

August 17, 2026

Osun: ‘We Will Come Back Stronger’ – Kalu Speaks On Tinubu’s Fate Ahead Of 2027 Election

August 17, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Trending
  • Governor Adeleke Withdraws Suit Against EFCC Following Tinubu’s Intervention
  • Muslim-Muslim Ticket: Better To Eat Grass Under Muslim Leader Than Chicken Under An Infidel – Islamic Cleric Says
  • Osun: ‘We Will Come Back Stronger’ – Kalu Speaks On Tinubu’s Fate Ahead Of 2027 Election
  • Don’t Think You Will Get Away With It – Obasanjo Warns Failed Nigerian Leaders
  • Osun: APC’s defeat not Adeleke’s trade-off for supporting Tinubu – Hakeem Baba-Ahmed
  • ‘There Is No Agreement’ – Adeleke’s Camp Denies Political Deal With Tinubu
  • Breaking: INEC declares Adeleke winner of 2026 Osun Governorship Election
  • Polaris Bank Hosts Children for a Day of Fun, Learning and Workplace Discovery
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
City News NGCity News NG
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
City News NG
Home » Governor Adeleke Withdraws Suit Against EFCC Following Tinubu’s Intervention
News

Governor Adeleke Withdraws Suit Against EFCC Following Tinubu’s Intervention

CitynewsBy CitynewsAugust 17, 2026No Comments
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn WhatsApp Reddit Tumblr Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, has ordered the withdrawal of the legal action instituted against the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission over the freezing of a state government account.

Adeleke disclosed this on Sunday while speaking in an interview with Channels Television, shortly after securing victory in the Osun State governorship election.

The governor said his decision followed an intervention by President Bola Tinubu, who he said personally contacted him over the matter.

Adeleke explained that the President’s intervention had changed the situation and made him reconsider continuing with the case.

According to him, he had already instructed the Osun State Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice to discontinue the suit.

“What else do I want? I’ve instructed my Attorney General to drop it. Mr President has done well; he called me. What more do I want?” Adeleke said.

The dispute between the Osun State Government and the EFCC started after the anti-graft agency placed a Post No Debit restriction on one of the state government’s accounts.

The EFCC said the action was connected to an ongoing investigation into the handling of about N11 billion belonging to the state.

The commission said the funds under investigation included Ecology Funds, Intervention Funds and allocations received through the Federation Account Allocation Committee.

The agency also alleged that there had been unusual movements of money from the account into several corporate accounts.

The EFCC described the transfers as “precipitate and unwarranted movement of funds” and said the restriction was imposed to prevent further movement of the money while its investigation continued.

Adeleke had strongly rejected the action.

The governor had directed the state Attorney-General to challenge the EFCC’s decision in court. He described the restriction as unlawful and suggested that the move was politically motivated.

He also spoke about persons linked to his administration who had been invited by the EFCC in connection with the investigation.

Adeleke said his lawyers were already communicating with the commission over the issue. He also questioned why his spokesperson was invited by the anti-graft agency.

“Well, we are… we’ve been talking, I’ve been calling all my lawyers to go there,” he said.

The governor added that he had told those invited to honour the EFCC’s invitations because they had nothing to hide.

“Can you imagine my spokesperson? You are inviting my spokesperson to EFCC. Is my spokesperson a finance minister or accountant? So I told him, ‘Go,’” he said.

Earlier this year, Adeleke had also called on President Tinubu to intervene in the dispute over local government allocations in Osun.

The governor had complained that funds meant for the state’s local governments were being withheld amid a prolonged dispute over the leadership of the councils.

Tinubu political history

He argued that the situation was affecting the payment of workers and the running of local government services.

The local government dispute followed a series of court cases involving elected council officials and the Osun State Government.

Adeleke Rules Out Return To APC

The governor also addressed speculation about his political future and whether his growing relationship with Tinubu could lead to his return to the All Progressives Congress.

Adeleke dismissed the possibility, at least for now.

Asked whether he was considering returning to the APC, the governor said, “As I’m talking to you right now, I’m not even thinking about that.”

He, however, made it clear that remaining outside the APC would not stop him from supporting Tinubu.

Legislative Branch

“So, but that doesn’t mean that I cannot say support… Mr President,” he said.

Adeleke explained that his relationship with the President should not be interpreted as a decision to change political parties.

The governor has had a long political journey across different platforms.

He previously contested under the APC before moving to the Peoples Democratic Party. He later left the PDP and joined the Accord Party ahead of the 2026 Osun governorship election.

Bola Tinubu Shakes Hand With Ademola Adeleke
Bola Tinubu Shakes Hand With Ademola Adeleke

Adeleke Raises Concerns Over Use Of Tinubu’s Name

The Osun governor also alleged that some people had been using Tinubu’s name while discussing the EFCC matter without the President’s knowledge.

The governor said he had no reason to continue the court case after Tinubu personally contacted him.

State & Local Government

The EFCC investigation itself, however, remains a separate matter.

The withdrawal of the suit does not amount to a declaration that the allegations under investigation have been resolved.

The commission had said its investigation into the handling of the funds was already ongoing before the account restriction was imposed.

The EFCC had explained that its investigation began in March 2026 and involved allegations concerning the management of about N11 billion in Ecology Funds, Intervention Funds and FAAC-related funds.

The commission said the account restriction became necessary after it noticed large transfers to different corporate entities.

Adeleke has rejected any suggestion of wrongdoing by his administration and previously challenged the basis for the restriction.

 

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram Email
Citynews
  • Website

Related Posts

Muslim-Muslim Ticket: Better To Eat Grass Under Muslim Leader Than Chicken Under An Infidel – Islamic Cleric Says

August 17, 2026

Osun: ‘We Will Come Back Stronger’ – Kalu Speaks On Tinubu’s Fate Ahead Of 2027 Election

August 17, 2026

Don’t Think You Will Get Away With It – Obasanjo Warns Failed Nigerian Leaders

August 17, 2026
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Demo
Top Posts

Stop Press! Jesam Michael, AAS Investors Are Aggrieved

May 10, 2024

Leadway Advocates For Public Safety As Nigerians Embrace The New Year

January 7, 2025

Ogun Is Setting The Pace In Tackling Energy Challenges, Says Abiodun

February 15, 2024

Governor Adeleke Withdraws Suit Against EFCC Following Tinubu’s Intervention

August 17, 2026
Don't Miss
News

Governor Adeleke Withdraws Suit Against EFCC Following Tinubu’s Intervention

By CitynewsAugust 17, 2026

Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, has ordered the withdrawal of the legal action instituted against…

Muslim-Muslim Ticket: Better To Eat Grass Under Muslim Leader Than Chicken Under An Infidel – Islamic Cleric Says

August 17, 2026

Osun: ‘We Will Come Back Stronger’ – Kalu Speaks On Tinubu’s Fate Ahead Of 2027 Election

August 17, 2026

Don’t Think You Will Get Away With It – Obasanjo Warns Failed Nigerian Leaders

August 17, 2026
Stay In Touch
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • Vimeo

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

Demo
About Us

City News NG is a fast-growing Nigerian online news platform delivering breaking stories, politics, business, entertainment, sports, and lifestyle updates to readers across Nigeria and the diaspora. It positions itself as a reliable digital newspaper with timely coverage of national and global events.

Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest YouTube WhatsApp
Our Picks

Governor Adeleke Withdraws Suit Against EFCC Following Tinubu’s Intervention

August 17, 2026

Muslim-Muslim Ticket: Better To Eat Grass Under Muslim Leader Than Chicken Under An Infidel – Islamic Cleric Says

August 17, 2026

Osun: ‘We Will Come Back Stronger’ – Kalu Speaks On Tinubu’s Fate Ahead Of 2027 Election

August 17, 2026
Most Popular

Stop Press! Jesam Michael, AAS Investors Are Aggrieved

May 10, 2024

Leadway Advocates For Public Safety As Nigerians Embrace The New Year

January 7, 2025

Ogun Is Setting The Pace In Tackling Energy Challenges, Says Abiodun

February 15, 2024
© 2026. Designed by .
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.