Author: Citynews

Former Vice President Atiku Abubakar has cautioned opposition political actors against zoning the 2027 presidential ticket to the South, warning that such a move could ultimately hand President Bola Tinubu an easy path to re-election. In a statement issued by his camp, Atiku argued that presenting another southern candidate against a sitting southern president lacks political strategy and has no historical precedent in Nigeria’s democratic experience. According to the statement, opposition parties must focus on building a formidable coalition capable of defeating the incumbent rather than making what it described as sentimental or symbolic decisions. This online medium reports that Atiku’s camp questioned the viability…

Read More

Nigerian media personality, Frank Edoho, has opened up about his second failed marriage and ongoing divorce proceedings amid unconfirmed reports about his ex-wife and a singer having an affair. CityNews reports that a few days ago, social media was awash with reports about Frank Edoho’s ex-wife and a popular Nigerian singer having an affair while they were still married. In a post via his Instagram page on Tuesday, Edoho expressed appreciation for the messages and concerns regarding his separation and ongoing divorce proceedings. Edoho said it has been almost two years since the separtion and he had since made peeace with it…

Read More

The Senator representing Edo North Senatorial District, Adams Oshiomhole, has declared that Senate President Godswill Akpabio is not qualified to occupy the position under the current Senate Standing Order. Oshiomhole made the remark on Tuesday during an appearance on Arise Television’s Morning Show, where he spoke on the controversy surrounding the amendment of the Senate rules and the qualification required to preside over the Red Chamber. The former Edo State governor backed the position earlier canvassed by Senator Adeniyi Adegbonmire, SAN, insisting that the debate over the Senate Standing Order was far from over. According to him, the present provisions…

Read More

The Federal Government has announced plans to enforce compulsory drug testing for students in secondary schools across Nigeria as part of efforts to curb substance abuse among teenagers. The new directive is contained in the National Implementation Guidelines Against Drug and Substance Use in Schools in Nigeria, a policy designed to create a safer and healthier learning environment for students nationwide. Under the guidelines, all newly admitted students will undergo mandatory drug screening before gaining admission, while returning students will also be subjected to routine drug tests at least once every academic session. According to the government, the policy is…

Read More

Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, has called for an emergency security council meeting following fresh attacks and destruction of government property in different parts of the state. CityNews reports that the governor announced the decision through a statement released on Monday by his spokesperson, Olawale Rasheed. According to the statement, the meeting became necessary because of growing security worries connected to alleged political violence ahead of the governorship election in Osun State. The emergency meeting is expected to take place at the Governor’s Office and will have the attendance of security chiefs and service commanders across the state. The state government said discussions…

Read More

Former governor of Kano state, Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso, has said he is ready to work with any presidential candidate, that emerges in the Nigeria Democratic Congress (NDC) ahead of the 2027 general elections. Kwankwaso said the party had already agreed to zone its 2027 presidential ticket to Southern Nigeria for a single four-year term. The former Kano governor appeared on Arise TV PrimeTime programme and confirmed that the decision was reached after consultations with party leaders and stakeholders across the country. “If the party decides that I will be anybody’s running mate from the South, I am ready”, he affirmed.…

Read More

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, on Monday tendered newspaper publications on the Naira redesign allegations against the former Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN, Mr Godwin Emefiele, in his trial over alleged disobedience to the direction of law and causing injury to the nation. The newspaper publications are meant to serve as exhibits at the High Court of the Federal Capital Territory, where the anti-graft agency put him on trial over the Naira redesign allegations. The EFCC tendered the documents through a subpoenaed witness, Jegede Oluwasegun, an official of the National Library of Nigeria. Emefiele is…

Read More

Foremost Nigerian philanthropist and corporate leader, Olusegun Osunkeye, has been honoured with Rotary International’s highest individual recognition, the “Service Above Self” Award, in recognition of his decades of humanitarian contributions and support for polio eradication efforts in Nigeria. The award was presented during the conference of Rotary District 9111 held in Abeokuta, underscoring Rotary’s continued commitment to the global fight against polio. Osunkeye was recognised for over five decades of service and for being the highest individual donor to Rotary District 9111’s polio eradication initiatives across the country. Since the launch of the Polioplus programme in 1985, Rotary International has…

Read More

Justice Maryann Anineh of the Federal Capital Territory High Court, sitting in Maitama, on Monday, May 11, 2026 revoked the bail, granted the former Minister of Power, Saleh Mamman and issued a warrant for his arrest following his absence in court to face his criminal prosecution. Saleh has remained out of circulation and without traces since he was found guilty and convicted on May 7, 2026 on all the 12-count charge, bordering on money laundering to the tune of N33.8billion by Justice James Omotosho of the Federal High Court, sitting in, Maitama, Abuja.  The former minister,  alongside seven others is…

Read More

The Federal High Court in Abuja has ordered a fresh hearing to determine whether statements obtained from suspects standing trial over an alleged coup plot were made voluntarily. Justice Joyce Abdulmalik gave the order on Monday after lawyers representing the defendants challenged the admissibility of statements and video recordings presented by the prosecution. The Federal Government is prosecuting six persons accused of plotting to overthrow the administration of President Bola Tinubu. During proceedings, prosecution counsel, Rotimi Oyedepo (SAN), sought to tender extra-judicial statements allegedly made by the defendants alongside video evidence recorded during interrogation sessions. However, defence lawyers opposed the…

Read More