Close Menu
City News NG
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

What's Hot

El-Rufai’s Wife Drags ICPC to Court, Demands ₦2 Billion Compensation

May 24, 2026

‘We Won’t Vote Atiku’ — ADC Youth Leaders Back Amaechi for 2027 Presidency

May 24, 2026

2027: Tinubu set to receive Certificate of Return, APC flag

May 24, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Trending
  • El-Rufai’s Wife Drags ICPC to Court, Demands ₦2 Billion Compensation
  • ‘We Won’t Vote Atiku’ — ADC Youth Leaders Back Amaechi for 2027 Presidency
  • 2027: Tinubu set to receive Certificate of Return, APC flag
  • BREAKING: Ex-Foreign Affairs Minister Tuggar Loses APC 2027 Bauchi Governorship Ticket
  • Videos, statements of me supporting bandits doctored – Gumi
  • ‘Politicians won’t stop stealing if Nigerians don’t stone us’ – Amaechi
  • Insecurity: Oyo School Abductors Give Fresh Condition
  • Sowore Declares For 2027 Presidential Election, Vows To Unseat Tinubu
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
City News NGCity News NG
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
City News NG
Home » Nigeria’s Exports Sector Threatened As 4,817 Containers Are Trapped At Lagos Port
News

Nigeria’s Exports Sector Threatened As 4,817 Containers Are Trapped At Lagos Port

CitynewsBy CitynewsMay 7, 2024No Comments
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn WhatsApp Reddit Tumblr Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

…616 export containers abandoned •Maersk shipping to evacuate 1,900 by tomorrow — APM Terminal

The drive by the government to raise its non-oil revenue may have come under threat as no less than 4,817 containers fully loaded with export goods are currently trapped at the Lagos port.

Out of this, 616 have been abandoned for over three years, thereby worsening the fate of small and medium scale enterprises (SMEs) in the export business.

Meanwhile, the shippers and their agents, terminal operators, shipping lines, are now locked in counter accusations over the cause of the delay even as the Nigeria Shippers Council, NSC, has summoned stakeholders’ meeting to address the problem leading to the trapping of the containers.

Following complaints by shippers and their agents over trapped export containers, APM Terminal said that it has convinced shipping giant, Maersk shipping line, to evacuate 1,900 of trapped containers from their facility by Wednesday, May 8, 2024.

This was made known in Lagos over the weekend when the Executive Secretary/CEO of the Shippers Council, Pius Akutah, paid a working visit to APM Terminal.

Explaining the reason for the delay, the Government Relations Manager of APM Terminal, Kayode Daniel, said some of the containers that were allowed into the terminal did not get clearance from Customs to be loaded onboard vessels for export.

According to him, “Despite following all the laid down processes, we still end up with a situation where containers stay in the port longer than expected.”

The Shippers Council boss had earlier decried the time wasted at the port by export cargo, especially at a time when the federal government is looking at diversifying the economy.

Also speaking at the meeting, Deputy Director, Consumers Services, NSC, Celestine Akunjobi, wondered why the shipping line had to wait for APM Terminal’s intervention before agreeing to pick the cargoes, claiming that the delay was a deliberate action on the part on the shipping lines.

In his words, “You just told us now that Maersk Shipping Line will be shipping about 2,000 of these containers in the next couple of days; it means that the problem is not with the shippers but the shipping lines because once they move 1,900 containers out of that number, what is left will be insignificant.”

Responding, General Manager, Legal of APM Terminal, Chinenye Deinde, said it would be wrong to blame the shipping lines since they were not present in the meeting, noting that it would be right to hear from the shipping lines over the delay in picking up export boxes from the terminal.

Lagos port
Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram Email
Citynews
  • Website

Related Posts

El-Rufai’s Wife Drags ICPC to Court, Demands ₦2 Billion Compensation

May 24, 2026

‘We Won’t Vote Atiku’ — ADC Youth Leaders Back Amaechi for 2027 Presidency

May 24, 2026

2027: Tinubu set to receive Certificate of Return, APC flag

May 24, 2026
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Demo
Top Posts

Stop Press! Jesam Michael, AAS Investors Are Aggrieved

May 10, 2024

Leadway Advocates For Public Safety As Nigerians Embrace The New Year

January 7, 2025

Ogun Is Setting The Pace In Tackling Energy Challenges, Says Abiodun

February 15, 2024

El-Rufai’s Wife Drags ICPC to Court, Demands ₦2 Billion Compensation

May 24, 2026
Don't Miss
News

El-Rufai’s Wife Drags ICPC to Court, Demands ₦2 Billion Compensation

By CitynewsMay 24, 2026

A fresh legal battle has emerged between the family of former Kaduna State governor, Nasir…

‘We Won’t Vote Atiku’ — ADC Youth Leaders Back Amaechi for 2027 Presidency

May 24, 2026

2027: Tinubu set to receive Certificate of Return, APC flag

May 24, 2026

BREAKING: Ex-Foreign Affairs Minister Tuggar Loses APC 2027 Bauchi Governorship Ticket

May 23, 2026
Stay In Touch
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • Vimeo

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

Demo
About Us

City News NG is a fast-growing Nigerian online news platform delivering breaking stories, politics, business, entertainment, sports, and lifestyle updates to readers across Nigeria and the diaspora. It positions itself as a reliable digital newspaper with timely coverage of national and global events.

Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest YouTube WhatsApp
Our Picks

El-Rufai’s Wife Drags ICPC to Court, Demands ₦2 Billion Compensation

May 24, 2026

‘We Won’t Vote Atiku’ — ADC Youth Leaders Back Amaechi for 2027 Presidency

May 24, 2026

2027: Tinubu set to receive Certificate of Return, APC flag

May 24, 2026
Most Popular

Stop Press! Jesam Michael, AAS Investors Are Aggrieved

May 10, 2024

Leadway Advocates For Public Safety As Nigerians Embrace The New Year

January 7, 2025

Ogun Is Setting The Pace In Tackling Energy Challenges, Says Abiodun

February 15, 2024
© 2026. Designed by .
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.